Monday, May 29, 2017

Big Adventures Ahead

Part of the reason behind my excitement to get out of California this summer is having the opportunity to travel, explore new places, food, and culture. 

Cornell is located in Ithaca NY, which isn’t exactly a city. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.  Some might consider the lack of urban excitement a disadvantage. I however, am more than ecstatic to be surrounded by its lush forests, waterfalls, and gorges. As cliché as this might sound, I look forward to forming a deeper connection with my surroundings on my trip out east.

With the help of the Internet and former ILCers’ blogs, I have compiled somewhat of a bucket list of places to go and things to do on my trip to Ithaca.

Ithaca Falls
First and foremost, I want to be able to visit Buttermilk Falls State Park, Robert H. Treman State Park, Triphammer Falls, and Ithaca Falls. All four of these locations are home to breathtaking waterfalls and gorges, and they look like the perfect places to take hikes, swim, read, and have picnics.

I would also like to see Finger Lakes while I’m in Ithaca. The region, consisting of a group of 11 lakes is not only home to spectacular views, but also a very rich history. Seneca Falls, the birthplace to the Women’s Suffrage movement lies at the lakes northern end and it would bring me great pleasure to be able to get near where it all began. 
Finger Lakes

Yet another place I would consider visiting is the Wilder Brain Collection, an actual display of some of the most interesting and famous donated brains, including that of an actual murderer. In 1925, American author Helen Hamilton Gardener donated her brain to the collection to show that women’s brains weren’t in any way inferior. Who knows, seeing it firsthand might convince me to donate mine. That is, if they want it in the first place.   

Last but not least, I want to get a taste for authentic New York style pizza. I’m not exactly sure if Ithaca will be the right place for it, but of all things I’d be devastated to miss out on that experience.

The Cornell Cohort will also be visiting Chicago, which is quite the opposite of Ithaca. There’s an endless amount of things to do and places to visit there and despite having never seen it in person, I am already convinced that I will love the city.

Penguins- Shedd Aquarium
When in Chicago, you guessed it; I’d like to be able to get my hands on some deep-dish pizza and a hotdog or two. Walking through Millennium Park and taking a picture in front of cloud gate is also a must. I don’t know if we’ll be able to visit Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute of Chicago, or the Adler Planetarium, but I’d be more than grateful to get even a tiny glimpse of any of them.

 If anything, I want to experience looking out of the observation deck outside the 103 floor of Willis Tower. The wind ensemble band students at El Cerrito High School visited Chicago last year and pictures of them enjoying views extending to four states have persuaded me to want to do the same.
Views from the SkyDeck at Willis Tower
Evanston, Illinois home to Northwestern University is our other stop. Prior to my research, I did not know a lot about the city. I have however learned some things including the fact that there is an escape room at Lock Chicago, which might be a great way for us to bond as a cohort.  

Inside the Charles Gates Dawes House
It also turns out that the city is home to a great deal of historical houses including the Frances Willard House, Emil Bach house, and Charles Gates Dawes House.  The Charles Gates Dawes house in particular seems to me like an interesting place to visit, considering its original owner worked on the Dawes plan, was our 30th vice president and a Nobel Peace Prize winner.

I could list every single place that I want to go this summer, but I’m afraid that it would be too long of a blog. My insatiable desire for travel is closely related to the fact that I haven’t done as much of it as I would like to. For this reason, I am hoping that the places I go and things that I learn as an ILCer will be the start to an exciting new chapter full of adventure for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment