Tuesday, May 30, 2017

When In Ithaca

One of the things I'm most looking forward to this summer for myself is to experience new places, new people, new food, and new opportunity. That comes from being able to not only visit and study at one of the most prestigious universities, but all the places we'll stop along the way and in between. Never would I have thought I would be able to go to Ithaca, and when I found I was I jumped onto my laptop to see what was in store for me, and I compiled for myself a bucket list of places I would love to visit this summer. 

Ithaca Commons. 
Ithaca Commons, one of the first places that caught my eye when looking up fun things to do close by the university. A pedestrian mall in downtown Ithaca, I love malls and the closest I've been to something like this is Bay Street in our local Emeryville. Ithaca Commons offers a variety of shops, galleries and restaurants, with a wide range of selection. A scale model of the solar system, the Sagan Planet Walk begins there, and what intrigued me most was that during the summer local musicians and entertainers often put on free concerts and performances, something I would love to experience.
Finger Lakes. 



Finger Lakes, a funny name when I first started reading about it, and came to learn that it got its name from how the lakes are narrow and long, like fingers. It's actually a wine county, but the lush green that surrounds it drew me in. Absolutely beautiful. You can see some from Cornell University, and the forests that surround them. Fishing is practiced there as well as yachting and draws in many because of the great history behind them. Known as the 'burned over district' where many religions were formed as well as holding pre-Iroquois habitation, it holds many great food scenes and museums. 

Cornell Plantations. 





The Cornell Botanical Gardens, also known as Cornell Plantations maintain four gardens on Cornell's central campus. It is referred to as one of the 'hidden gems' in the state of New York and specializes in trees and shrubs native to the state. it would be a lovely way to spend the afternoon, just being able to bask in the natural beauty. It has several collections of trees and in general is a great place to study, do yoga, or simply take a walk. This was one of the places I was unsure about but looking more in depth makes me excited for all the nature that surrounds the campus.

Ithaca Falls. 



There is no way I could go to Ithaca and not see a waterfall, or two, or more. Ithaca Falls even has a trail where one can go hiking, I've never been on a hike before but that's even more of a reason to go. Not too long which is also perfect for me. waterfalls are something unique to Ithaca, it has so many in various locations and I intend on seeing as many of them as I possibly can. I truly enjoy nature na being outdoors, so I know this will for sure be a yes for me. 
Cascadilla Trails.



The Cascadilla Gorge Trail is truly a display of rock, water, and trees. It is a tremendous variety of creek and forest habitats condensed into a small area. There is a stone trail up the stairs behind one of the halls and the climb isn't too difficult either. Cascadilla creek is a cascade of waterfalls which are enjoyable dramatic. the creeks drops about 400 ft past nine waterfalls making it quite the sight. Anything which involves something new like a hike but isn't too draining is calling my name, and I think it would be interesting to see how I went about tackling this. 
The sky deck.


Along the way we will be stopping in Chicago to visit some universities. When I heard this Willis Tower came in mind, which once held the title for tallest building in the world. It's what comes to mind when I think of skyscrapers. This 110 story tower is most famous for it's glass boxes extending a little over four feet from the sky deck. Not the best for someone who has a fear of heights but a great way to feel the rush and brag about later. Looks insane, and I believe my trip to Chicago will be incomplete without visiting this amazing structure. 
Millennium Park. 



Millennium Park, in the heart of the city of Chicago, most famously known for being home to the Cloud Gate, stainless steel sculpture, offers more than this unique piece of art. It also features the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Crown Fountain, and Lurie Garden. These major artistic highlights as well as the scenic food variety and cultural facilities are what make up the alluring essence of what the Windy City has to offer. It would be a great opportunity to grab a hotdog or two while exploring the glorious architecture and admiring the stretching skyscrapers. 

Researching these few sights to see, as well as many others make me look forward to this summer and all that is to come with this trip, I know it will be one to remember. As the days go on and I think about it more, the more nervous and excited I become for this new experience. Ithaca, I'm coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment