Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Best of Ithaca and Chicago

I can't wait for my travels over the summer! I will be going to Chicago a sprawling metropolis with a population of 2.722 million and Ithaca a beautiful "city" tucked into the country side of up state New York with a population of 30,720. I am so happy that not only will I be studying at Cornell and visiting University of Chicago and Northwestern University, but I will be visiting two beautiful regions of the country. Here are seven and a bit places I want to see when I am in Chicago and Ithaca.


  1. Millennium Park - I really want to go to Millennium Park because it is really interesting and beautiful. It has many Beautiful Attractions like the Cloud Gate which to be honest, I love because it is shaped like a bean. I think this would be amazing to see because the park is in the middle of the city, it is gorgeous, it doesn't require a lot of time, it's free and right next to the lake shore, Chicago River and other beautiful parks so if we don't like it we can walk to other places . 
  2. Art Institute of Chicago- I will acknowledge all the downsides of the Art Institute of Chicago. It costs a fair amount of money ($82 for all of us), we probably won't have enough time to thoroughly enjoy all that this amazing museum has to has to offer, but I am still holding on to the hope that possibly that there will be the time and money because the Art Institute of Chicago nothing short of spectacular. This museum has paintings that I only dreamed of seeing. Artwork such as "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat, "American Gothic" by Grant Wood and other amazing paintings by Pablo Picasso,Georgia O'Keeffe, Claude Monet, Edward Hopper and Vincent van Gough. I would love to see all of these amazing pieces of art. 

  3. Willis Tower Observation Deck- The reason why I want to go to Willis Tower is because it is gargantuan and the view from the glass deck is unbeatable. There is no better view of the Chicago skyline than from the top of it. 
  4. Finger Lakes- I know this one is broad, but I can't wait to see these beautiful lakes. I looked it up and there are many beautiful trails, parks and towns on the shore. Cayuga Lake isn't far from Cornell and walking next to it is free and guaranteed to give us some nice photos. 
  5. Ithaca Commons- What really caught my attention with the Ithaca Commons is that from what I see it is one of the only big shopping canters in Ithaca and it looks fun and cute. It reminds me of Bay Street and it seems like the perfect place to buy gifts for family back home. Another bonus is that it is close to Cornell. 
  6. Waterfalls and Gorges- Ithaca is in a beautiful part of the globe that includes many gorgeous waterfalls and gorges that have many trails and places to picnic, read, walk or swim. These places would include Ithaca Falls, Cascadilla Gorge, Robert Treman State Park, Buttermilk Falls State Park and many many more. I love hiking and I am a major nature freak and love the idea of walking to a beautiful waterfall on the weekend  and reading a book while listening to the rush of the water. 
  7. Up State New York- If we are able to travel outside the Ithaca area there are many places I would love to visit. Places like Seneca Falls where there was a conventions where some of the smartest women at the time discussed women's rights and created the influential Declaration of Sacraments. I also want to visit Syracuse University. It may not be Ivy League, but it is still an amazing university (where Joe Biden went) and has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Speaking of amazing colleges with beautiful campuses, Williams College. This will most likely not happen because it is three hours away (same distance as Niagara Falls) so we would have to give up the falls so this is super unlikely, but I can dream because this college is one of the greatest liberal arts colleges in the nation. Finally, Niagara Falls. Nothing said.These falls are the most famous and beautiful water falls in the world. They are three hours away, but I have hope that we will have the money so we can see these natural wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment