Friday, May 26, 2017

The Interesting Board Meeting

Today was a nerve racking, but exciting day because today was the day of the school board presentation. That day at school was like any other day and before the meeting I had to rush home and get dressed then I had to rush to King Elementary School for my mom's work then rush to Lovonya Dejean Middle School for the board meeting itself. 

Once there I meet my chaperone Deven Halcomb and meetup with my Cornell cohort. We talked about various topics and telling many stories from our lives. Then at 6:30ish it was showtime. we sat in the front row with the banners of the respective universities we will be attending. The meeting opened with a group of teachers who requested the board a raise in their salaries so they can afford to live where they teach. I personally support their cause and they made many important and well articulated points. I even saw some teachers that teach at my school. After that there were many public comments, 33 or 37 or something like that. The majority of them were about the Serra Adult School. I can't really have well formed opinion on the issue because I don't know exactly was is going. I have no clue if the school is moving or closing down or what else, but many of the adult school students and supporters made powerful statements.
The teenagers on the right are me and my fellow cohort members. To the right is our chaperone Deven Halcomb and Chicago's chaperone Tori Sciacca I believe.
After the super long public comment our presentation began. I was super nervous and was starting to wish I wrote a speech. Don introduced the ILC super quickly because we had a very short amount of time. Then Evan went up to quickly thank everyone present, the board, Don etc. Then it was my turn. I didn't have a racing heart or sweaty palms I just felt nervous. But I started speaking and I didn't stop. It all flowed naturally. But I started stuttering when Don was giving me the signal to wrap up. So I finished up and was relieved when I stopped talking.
Me speaking at the presentation. I was so nervous!

The board meeting was fun even though I was nervous. I learned a lot about what was going on in my own community. I found speaking fun and exciting. Afterwards we took group pictures. My mom and I had our picture taking then immediately left because we were starving. Ican't wait for the journe that lays ahead. Watch out Cornell!
Me and my mom after the school board meeting


No comments:

Post a Comment