Thursday, May 25, 2017

School Board Meeting: One Step Closer

In order to avoid potential traffic jams, my mother and I arrived at Lavonya De-Jean middle school 30 minutes before we were expected to. A large crowd full of people protesting greeted us with horns and flyers upon our arrival. My mother, who had previously been to one of these meetings, had already notified me that this might be the case, so I wasn't too surprised. In fact, I personally knew a few of the adult school and district teachers that were there to speak.

I realized when we got to the courtyard that we definitely were not the first ones there. Seeing Don and several other people already at the location setting up provided me with a great sense of relief.

While waiting for the meeting to officially begin, I had the opportunity to talk to some ILCers and fellow cohort members. Cecilia and I spoke briefly about our involvement in the badminton teams at our schools. This was also my first time meeting Deven, the Cornell Cohort chaperone. We went over how to pronounce my name correctly and then conversed with a few other ILCers about places that we have traveled outside of state.  
  
Robson's speech.
The meeting itself started at around 6:30. We all headed towards the multi-purpose room and were seated in the front row, reserved specifically for the ILC. The Cornell cohort seating area was initially a chair short. We also had a hard time trying to figure out how to position our banner properly but after several attempts and instructions from Don on the other end of the room, we eventually figured it out.

In the time before the school board members started discussing what was on the agenda, Deven, Noor, Robson, and I planned out the details for our meet and greet dinner this Friday. We talked about what we would be eating, which ultimately led to a conversation about favorite cuisines and boba tea flavors. My chaperone and cohort members were shocked and possibly disturbed to find out about my distaste for seafood. I made up for it, I hope, by suggesting we go with Indian food, which ended up being what we decided upon.   

Public comment, the first portion of the School Board meeting, allowed individuals and groups of people to present the board with their own opinions. I found listening to the emotion-packed concerns and comments of community members to be very interesting and informative. I was glad that I got to witness their passion and doing so taught me a little bit more about our district and surroundings. 

Deven introducing our cohort.
Eventually, the time came for us ILCers to be recognized by the Board. We were instructed to position ourselves facing the stage and hold our banners out in front of us. Don gave an eye-opening speech about the Ivy League Connection’s many contributions to the lives of students who’ve been a part of it and the positive impact that the program has had on our communities.

It was then time for the chaperones to introduce each student within their cohorts individually. Deven did a great job of presenting us. Student speakers from each cohort also had the chance to share their hopes and experiences as ILCers. Their speeches displayed strong enthusiasm for the summer and listening to them speak made me even more excited for what’s ahead.

Afterward, we went outside into the courtyard to take lots and lots of photos. Don captured some really nice pictures of my mom and me, the Cornell cohort, and other ILCers with their cohorts and loved ones. I am positive that these photographs will be cherished and looked back upon to revive memories of good times. 
Mama and I.
Fun Fact: while we’re on the topic of memories, Raqeeb from the Chicago cohort, Noor, and I all attended Fairmont Elementary School. Raqeeb’s mom took a nice picture of the three of us at the board meeting that I hope I will be able to get a hold of for old times sake.  

While walking out of the building that night, the realization that I was one step closer to being in Ithaca hit me. I really truly am very thankful for being granted this opportunity and given the chance to gain experience and knowledge through it. 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Javaria, I had to chuckle when you collectively unfurled your flag but had it upside down. You all were so intently looking straight ahead that it took me forever to get your attention to signal you to flip it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done ,excellent i have no words to congratulate you on your outstanding performance Best of luck javaria khan for your bright future ,you are born leader and talented girl,congratulations on your admission in Cornell University one of the best university in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete