Thursday, June 29, 2017

Chill Vibes

I woke up at my typical 6:30 AM alarm before I realized I was still tired so I went back to sleep for another hour and a half which was a great decision. I got ready relatively quick and I heard the fire alarm go off, yes, again. I was leaving for class anyways so I walked out with the rest of the girls who actually evacuated the building this time around.

I got to class fairly early and talked with some of the students about our different leadership experiences and how we go about resolving a conflict when working as a team. Everyone had a very unique take always from different activities such as starting their own organizations to being an advocate for raising awareness about their passions.  It was interesting to learn more about the community of future leaders I was surrounded by and I knew it would help us think more critically in class discussions.

During the class discussion the instructor had joined in alongside our TA, Nick. We discussed the ending of our first book, and our feelings about the layout as being a dialogue and business meeting setting, as well as how it would be changed if another version of it was to be published. More students are stepping up to participate in the discussion and the more engaged my peers become in the material of the book, the more fun and easier it becomes to comprehend. We talked about a commander’s intent and how that compares to a leader’s intent, and basically broke down what a leader has to accomplish and how they are responsible for making sure that the team completes the task at hand.

Afterwards our TA, Nick gave a presentation on his leadership experience, which was a significant part of his life being a firefighter, when I say firefighter I mean putting out the massive forest fires in the Rockies. I could definitely understand and relate to what he was saying because of living in an area where we have dry heat. It was so interesting to learn about the process of living with your team and having to complement one another both on a professional as well as a personal one. The expression on the faces of his team members told all about what they had to go through in order to even attempt to complete the task at hand. 

After class I had lunch at the Trillium once again which is really nice but it makes me nervous because I am not eating as healthy as I usually do, but oh well, all part of the experience? Today our whole leadership class was sitting together for lunch and we of course exchanged social medias and contact information as well as talked about our feelings about the class and the direction it's headed in. 

We tried some face masks because my face doesn't
 know what humidity is. 
Khirishana and I ran into Josh, our other TA while we were walking to Mary Donlon which is where she lives. We stopped and talked to him about how we're looking forward to early next week when we will have our discussions without raising our hands. He was talking to us for quite some time about the class and how to reach out to him or any of the other course instructors if we have any questions, or even if we just want to talk to him about college, etc. He was laughing at me when I didn't realize that it snowed in Cornell during January and told me had some great resources he could reach out to for me because of my interest in the Information Science major at Cornell. TA's are definitely another great resource to take advantage of for college advice and class questions or anything else. 

I went with Khirishana to her dorm to get started on another essay I have due this weekend and prepare the reading for tomorrow's class discussion when a girl form her floor brought us some leftover cupcakes her mom had shipped over from New Zealand! Such a sweetheart! It honestly made my day. We had dinner and I was hanging with her and some student studying Middle eastern History since we were all working on our essays for our courses while they were making fun of me for listening to rain sounds while working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment