Friday, June 23, 2017

Day of Learning

Our second day in Chicago, we toured Northwestern University. The train took us straight from the not so windy city to Evanston. I say “not so windy city” because it was a very very humid day. So humid, a full bottle of water wouldn't last me 15 minutes. On the plus side, I felt hydrated from drinking so much of the water. 

The weather reminded me a lot of days I had spent in South Asia last summer, except that the heat over there was borderline unbearable. It's definitely not as bad here, but it progressively got worse as the day went on.
We had breakfast at a McDonalds nearby, so there was no need for any on campus. It wouldn't have hurt to try out local options, but we were already running out of time. 

Evanston is actually a nice little historical college town. I admit that my expectations for Northwestern weren't the highest. In all honesty, I didn’t think that I would like it mostly because the internet made Evanston seem just about as exciting as El Cerrito. 

Boy, was I wrong. The campus itself is located on top of what was once lake Michigan (before the university filled it up in order to expand). Its shore offers students access to a year round beach as well as splendid views of Chicago. Something I found hilarious as well as interesting was the fact that our tour guide (as well as other NW students according to her) referred to the water trapped between the lake and campus as “fake Michigan.”


We arrived with plenty of time to spare and sought shelter from the sun in the air conditioned Segal Visitor's Center. The room was packed full of information on tv screens and in brochures about notable alumni such as Steven Colbert and Julia Louis-Dreyfus as well as programs and internships offered. Looking around turned out to be just as thought provoking and informative. I realized then that the city was not as bad as I made it out to be and neither was the campus. It was actually quite the opposite, but I wanted to learn a bit more about the inner workings of the school before I decided to put it on my list of colleges to apply for. 

What a view!
The room began filling up with students and parents alike soon enough. Everyone was called in for a tutorial session in which we learned in-depth about the campus, community, spirit, and financial opportunities available. One thing that I found interesting and helpful was the fact that you could easily switch schools, majors, and classes without any complications. Switching majors isn't exactly unheard if you're as indecisive as me at times, you might want to consider Northwestern. 

The admissions counselors leading the session, Drew and Kaitlyn, mentioned how easy and accessible Northwestern's financial aid packages really were. University-funded scholarships alone pay for approximately 45% of undergrads each year. That's certainly not the only form in which financial help is offered. Certain students with internships are even provided with a means of living and the right apparel so that they don't have to extra paid work to get by. 

The advisors touched on money put towards undergrad research as well. Students apparently are capable of getting funded for a wide range of research activities from studying contestants' behavior on the NBC's 'The Voice' to touring music festivals across the country and observing significant changes. Because the funds are specifically set aside for undergraduate students, they don't have to compete with staff and upperclassmen to pursue whatever it is that they desire. 

Financial help is great, but what's more important is finding somewhere you feel comfortable and acknowledged. If there's one thing that I really did appreciate about the school and took notice of right away, it was the cheery, welcoming atmosphere. The faculty, students, and advisors that we met all seemed to care about one another and it showed through in their pride and actions. Purple and White dominated clothing, decorations, furniture, and much more. Even the rock itself was painted school colors. Everywhere you went, you saw wildcats upon wildcats. Students wearing wildcats, yelling "wildcats." It sounds pretty intense, and it was, but that's what made it homely, appealing, and unique in its own way. I came out of there wanting to very much be a part of that community and spirit. 

While I was at The Rock,  I tried to see if I could count the layers of paint underneath. After all, research shows that the paint is at least 8 inches thick. The Rock has a fascinating historical background. It was originally presented as a gift for a graduating class in the early 1900s. They decided to make a water fountain out of it, but the pipes burst and it had to be moved a good 20ft. It is now a canvas for art, paintings, and political messages expressed by students on campus. The one condition is that in order to paint The Rock, they have to guard it for at least 24 hours. Guarding The Rock is an honored tradition for those that attend Northwestern. Getting to visit The Rock and actually seeing it was much better than reading about it. It's a must-see if you're interested in what distinguished certain college campuses from others. 

It occurred to me that It really was too bad Northwestern never crossed my mind before. There are many others like me back home in the bay area attending schools in the West Contra Costa District who probably haven't given it any thought either. I plan on sharing these stories with my peers and classmates in the hopes that they will inspire them to think outside of the box and consider schools they wouldn't normally be looking at such as Northwestern.

I have been considering various majors, but lately Journalism is what I’m ultimately leaning towards. A couple of people had told me bits and bobs about the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern. I was aware about its great reputation, but actually got to witness and hear about the building and courses offered today. Students that do decide to study there are given the opportunity to participate in internships with acclaimed news channels such as CNN and WGN Chicago. That right there is a huge plus and might be exactly what I need in order to accomplish my goals for the future and tell stories that improve the lives of those around me.  
In Front of The Medill School of Journalism

Right after the presentations ended, tours officially began . Our tour guide took us to many different buildings and shared with us a great deal about both the history and traditions of the university. I was in love with the architecture. The building were tall, grand, beautifully structured and they looked like something out of a fairytale. Leaves covered the sides of halls and libraries, adding to their grandeur. It was brought to my attention that dorming in a hall with students that shared your interests was a possibility. In fact, it made it so that there were many other bonding opportunities and themed parties and gatherings to attend. That's something that I thought was worth mentioning. 

As for the university's traditions, they included the rock, armadillo festival, and annual 30-hour marathon. The Armadillo festival is a day prior to finals in which famous celebrity singers and rappers such as Kanye West and Chance the Rapper come out to perform for students and the school celebrates. The 30-hour marathon is exactly what it sounds like. On average, a million dollars are raised annually for selected causes and students that participate all four years are made part of what is called the 120 hour club. 

I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the numerous international programs offered (another thing I really like about NW). Upon asking questions about whether or not there was a common core curriculum, I was informed that classes were flexible and you really didn't have to take classes that didn't appeal to you. Being that I'm not too keen on taking classes such as Calculus, it really did appeal to me. 

It did end up being a pretty long walk, but our tour guide was open to answering questions and I learned a ton. I also made a friend along the way, Caitlyn who came from Georgia. We really bonded over the fact that neither of us were STEM people. 

Worth the wait, am I right?
After the tour ended, we headed back to the train station and stopped at Willis Tower. The elevator ride leading to the sky deck was so fast; it blocked my ears for a good minute or so. On the 103rd floor, there were many clear windows showcasing sights stretching beyond 4 states. 

Looking out into the open was surreal. I don't have the right words to describe the feelings that I felt in that moment. Not even Chicago's busy streets reminded me of my mortality and the fact that I was only one in billions as much as this experience alone did. 

I don't usually have the time to think about things like the fact that everyone else has stories as intricate and important as mine. Sure, I know it for a fact. We all do, but at times it really sets in. 

Our fears, emotions, troubles, anxieties they're all temporary. As time passes, so do they. In the grand scheme of things, they're not important. That might sound morbid, but in actuality it's nice to think about, especially while you're looking outside at miniature homes 1,729 ft. above the ground.

We are what we make of ourselves and people will remember us through our contributions to their lives. It's up to us to determine how we go about that.  

The pondering however didn't stop me from seeking out the nearest gift shop and finding souvenirs to take back. I ended up purchasing a pair of cute Chicago key chains to remind me of these good times. It didn't help that I accidentally broke an ornament, typical of me I guess, but at least we didn't have to pay for it. I made sure to stay a good two feet away from delicate objects after that ordeal. 

Upon leaving Willis, we found a Giordano’s located a block away from the tower and got to eat deep-dish pizza for dinner after all. It was a long wait inside the restaurant, but so worth it. I don’t think I’ll be eating for another day, that’s exactly how filling and downright delicious the meal was. We brought leftovers with us to the hotel to devour while preparations for the next day commenced.

2 comments:

  1. And this is what I've been waiting for since you were selected to be an ILCer! This is a magnificent blog, Javaria. It had feeling, was full of relevant information and made me want to sneak out and take a core sample of that eight inches of paint on the NU pebble (with all of that paint who's to say how big the rock actually is?).

    And I truly love the photos, too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and your earlier comments about Mickie D's--they were right and I had a conversation with the person responsible earlier tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete