Thursday, June 22, 2017

Tales of the Windy City

I have to include this picture
It was precisely 1:04 AM when I woke up to the sound of my alarm. Although it did take a few tries for me to physically get out of bed, not doing so wasn’t an option. I freshened up, dragged myself to the kitchen, loaded up on caffeine, and immediately started gathering my luggage for departure.

My dad and I arrived at El Cerrito High School a good 15 minutes earlier than expected. I was anxious to say the least and did not want to add being late to my long list of worries.  Don was there ready to greet us. He checked my medical ID card and passport and then weighed the luggage. Thankfully it was 38 lbs., not exceeding the limit and leaving lots of space for souvenirs to bring back.  Everyone else arrived soon afterwards and went through the same process.

Don gave us all a talk about what to expect and how to go about things while we were out East. He emphasized taking lots of pretty pictures and making the most of the Ivy League experience. All of us, including parents, were handed itineraries to look over and reflect on. We were doing just that when the shuttle arrived and it was time for us to bid farewell. I was trying my best to play tough and not get too emotional, but the fact that I would be gone for a month really set in for me right there and then.
Islamic Architecture and Art at the
Institute 

The Shuttle Ride was fairly speedy. We arrived at SFO with a ton of time to spare. I grabbed a sesame seed bagel and mango smoothie. Our flight departed (and arrived) earlier than was expected. There’s not much that I can say about my experience in the plane itself other than mentioning that it was horrible.

Unfortunately, travel doesn’t reciprocate my feelings of love for it. Motion sickness made it impossible for me to do anything but doze off and pray that I wouldn’t puke all over the seat. My head was throbbing constantly and strangely I kept waking up thinking it was time to land but we’d still have an hour or two to go. The smoothie that I brought on the plane with me didn’t help either. I do not recommend doing that. By the end of the flight, it was starting to resemble petrol. Just picturing it in my head makes me feel nauseous.

Nonetheless, the Cornell cohort arrived in Chicago around noon, enthusiastic and ready to start exploring. The first stop was the hotel we were staying in. We took a pretty fancy ride out from the airport to the Omni in a black SUV and arrived to find out that the place we’d be staying at was even fancier. Noor and I were sharing a room, so we made our way up to the 11th floor and got ready for sightseeing. Getting ready was somewhat of a hassle. It took longer for us because we wanted to look our best and digging through luggage to find things isn’t exactly easy.
Chagall's America Windows


The Quran
The Navy Pier Sunset was gorgeous.
After stopping for mouthwatering chicken tacos from a food truck along the way, we made our way to the Art Institute of Chicago. I have been to a great deal of museums in my life, but none as awe inspiring and amazing as this one. Classics such as Grant Wood’s American Gothic and Edward Hopper’s Nighthawks were only some of the brilliant pieces of art plastered on those walls. What fascinated me the most however was the mesmerizing Islamic art, sculptures, and Chagall’s America Windows.  I’ve never ever enjoyed gazing at something so much before. The Islamic art in particular hit close to home. There were ancient Quran’s and wood carvings dating back to the Safavid Dynasty and Ottoman Empire. The history and art nerd in me rejoiced. I fit in and enjoyed it so much. Most importantly, I learned and could feel my
knowledge expanding. 


American Gothic
We walked out by the Navy Pier a bit afterwards, making sure to take pictures of anything and everything. The sun set and painted the sky a pastel pink. I did indulge in a churro and soft serve while I was there but the sugary food didn't make the trip any less relaxing. It was indeed the perfect cure to our fatigue. 

The four of us eventually rode a bus back to the hotel for dinner. We decided on soup, ate, and then retired to our rooms for blogging and much awaited sleep. 

Here's to many more exciting days.
The bean!

No comments:

Post a Comment