Monday, June 5, 2017

Making the Most of My Time in The Windy City

The Ivy League School of the Windy City -- University of Chicago, Illinois -- one of the sights I will have the privilege to visit this summer. I will be packing a bag to go across the country; this is I taking a step in the direction of success and the dream that I hold for myself. This trip will be the time for myself and my fellow cohort members to find a meaningful place to grow, to disconnect from our technology and expand our minds with the experience of a different world. One day, I will have one day. This chapter of my summer is titled “The Windy City.” And it holds only great things.

One of the greatest appreciations I hold is for art and history, both these of course have a variety of museums dedicated to them. The University of Chicago has many museums with characteristics and attributes which make them unique to it. The Renaissance Society is a non- collecting entity focusing on contemporary arts; it holds 5 exhibitions a year featuring local and international artists. Their collection feature paintings, sculpture, installation, video, performance, and multi-media work which showcases a modern take on art. The breadth offered by the works of Francis Alÿs, Shahzia Sikander, and so many more, display connections to their audience and hold meaning which invite critics, locals, and anyone who has an appreciation for design. These artists show history in what they produce. Society fosters the notion of ‘What is creativity?’ and one doesn’t have to be a critic or creator yourself to take away from the history behind pieces which make one think. The Renaissance Society will definitely be a place to inspire and learn creativity, to embody the meaning put into a work that is put out and open to interpretation; something we will be able to apply in our best work.

This campus like many others has a botanic garden! I’m always drawn to anything with a lush, serene setting that takes my breath away. It adds to the notion of the campus being called an oasis. Something that I find quite interesting is that with all the conflicts gardening faces, the variety of spaces in a diverse environment have created microclimates, allowing for there to be flowers and plants in bloom which typically aren’t found in the Chicago region. Something I would love to see! Something that wouldn’t take much time, every corner of it seems picture perfect and I think my cohort would all have a lot of fun exploring and just spending time in that area of the campus.

I know this will go by in the blink of an eye. I talk about going back east, so ready to pack my things, before I know it I’ll be back in my room. The difference -- what I bring back with me and how I share it --I intend to make the most of my time, learning, growing, dreaming, creating and exploring the depths of my curiosity. I don’t know if the city will hold the magic everyone tells me about, but I think education and being exposed to new things is so important, it transforms you and the way you think; I welcome this new change with open arms and an open mind, ready for absorbing new information to make a difference and make something amazing for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment