Saturday, June 24, 2017

We'll Always Have Chicago

I woke up at 5:00 AM to pack and get ready by 7:00 so we can leave to our University of Chicago tour. This time we took a taxi. I was pretty tired, but well rested compared to yesterday and especially the day before. When we took our taxi, I was pretty tired, but well rested compared to yesterday and especially the day before. When we were riding in the taxi I was slowly waking up and becoming excited because I was strongly considering the University of Chicago before I became a part of the ILC. Before the visit I read up on the university, its many notable alumni such as (Edwin Hubble and Bernie Sanders) and its rigorous academics. I loved what I already heard about the university and couldn't wait to learn more.

The university itself was beautiful and magnificent. The buildings look old and were made from white ancient looking stones that were covered in ivy and moss. The buildings were built in the 19th century, but they look like they were pulled from the Renaissance. The presentation before the tour was held in the Rockefeller Chapel which was gorgeous. It reminded me of some old churches I saw in Europe.

We walked into the chapel gawking at the scenery and sat down in the front. Two students came up to us to answer any questions we had, their names where Rafaela and Jared. They were really nice and answered everyone’s questions in detail. They had fun stories like a fraternity that had a tortoise named Bowser that had his own personal zoo complete with a placard describing him and his diet.

They also discussed certain majors like engineering and political science. They sounded like your typical majors that start in large lecture classes with a decent number of students then as the classes become more specific and debate based then the classes decrease in size to 6 or 7 students. I found this helpful because I work better in smaller groups, they help me focus more and it’s easier to get help from a teacher in a small group.

When Jared and Rafaela answered all our questions there was loud music being played from an organ. It sounded beautiful as the music bounce throughout the large chapel. After that lovely intro Dean of Admissions James Nordorf started his presentation. He was very energetic and intense when he spoke. This was shown by the fact that it was pretty cool inside and he was dripping with sweat. When he would get close to me I prayed that a drop wouldn't fall on me. He was very funny and helpful because as he was giving us the information while he was cracking jokes left and right.

He talked about his experiences in admissions and some advice and insight he had on the admissions process. He told us in short, relax, be yourself and follow your passions. This is what I hear and see a lot when I do my research into universities. I find this advice helpful because often I feel like I need become what a university wants me to be in order to be accepted and I also have tendency to panic about nearly anything college related (applications, SAT, etc) and I tend to feel inscure about my writing, so this advice from a dean of admissions encouraged me to forget all this and just be myself.

He also told stories to enhance his points about being oneself. One of these stories was he accepted a girl who wrote about if her school was collapsed in an earthquake. She spent the essay describing her lining up her classmates based on whether or not she would eat them. She said she would want to eat the interesting people and she wants to go to UChicago because the people are interesting. The dean said it was well written, funny and unique, it also displayed who she was as a person so he accepted her.

Speaking of essays a thing that I loved because it was funny and quirky were the weird essay prompts. The prompts would be things such as “How do you feel about Wednesdays?” I thought this was really amazing because it encourages students to showcase their individuality and the prompts were just really fun and sound like a joy to write about.

Another interesting thing he said was regarding studying abroad. I found it interesting because unlike Northwestern studying abroad is built directly into the curriculum with the class Ancient Civilizations which is a part of the common core. I found this interesting because UChicago wasn’t just saying this to attract students, it felt like since it was built into the curriculum the university wants you to go out and study in new places.

He mentioned financial aid and even though what he said was pretty typical of a good chunk of universities I still found it interesting. He said that the university was need blind so they don’t look at your financial situation when you apply on when they accept you and they have their own financial aid calculator to determine how much aid you need. I thought this was generous because it displayed that if you are accepted they want to do everything so that you can attend.

But one of my favorite parts of his speech was when he went into detail about the house system. It was fun to hear about because he made the comparison to Harry Potter and it was stunningly accurate. You fill out an application that asks questions such as how to you study the best, what do you want in a roommate and it goes to a woman behind a desk who looks them over and puts you into a house (like the sorting hat) and each house lives together and has their own dining section in a dining hall (almost like Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw). I like this because this shows how UChicago wants there to be a community among students because they build the community into their system. I think it is very helpful considering the coursework because it’s wonderful to rely on friends when you feel stressed or when you need help regarding coursework or a professor.

Then there was the student panel where students got up and answered questions from the audience. They seemed happy and passionate about their school because whenever they talked about their lives on campus their face would light up. The most helpful things they said were about their course work, schedules and the faculty on campus.

The faculty according to them is very responsive. The professors have frequent office hours and their academic and career advisors constantly check. I found the advisors to be an appealing factor because the students said that meeting with them is a requirement and that when you do they check in with you to see how you are doing and what you need. I find it appealing because it shows that no matter what you’ll have a support system and the faculty is interested in seeing you succeed.

The students also said that the course work was a lot, but the quarter schedule allowed for flexibility and time in your schedule to fit in the work. I like this because I like the idea of having a lot of course work and rigorous studies, but I can get overwhelmed, but with UChicago’s quarter system it makes it easier to fit in the work comfortably without becoming overwhelmed or overly stressed.

Me in front of Rockefeller Chapel
The end of our day started with a tour. I liked the tour because it gave me a chance to stretch my legs and take in the scenery. The campus on top of being beautiful was spacious. The buildings were spread out and there were walk ways that were lined by trees and flowers and there were plenty of lawns to sit on and tree to sit under. But the campus wasn’t so spacious that it was unnavigable or impossible to get from one side to the other.

Our tour guide’s name was Brian and he was helpful and many of the things talked about in the tutorial, he covered, but he brought it to life by telling he own anecdotes. He brought the sense of community alive by telling stories of when he broke his leg his house members would help him to class and check in on him. He brought the study abroad program by telling us of a lot of his friends who went and how he is going to go to Greece for one of his classes. This showed to me that the university wanted and encouraged students to study abroad so they can learn things that they would never learn otherwise.

He also told us that it is very easy to research with professor because in all of his stories the people just sent an email and their resume and the professor had them join their project. Or sometimes the professor would ask the students, this would happen to graduates and undergraduates. I liked this a lot because it proved that there are always opportunities on campus and that there were little to barriers between undergraduates and graduates. His stories proved to me that a lot of what the dean and website were saying wasn’t just fluff or deception to get people to apply to the university.

At the end of the tour he told us he went to UChicago and loves UChicago for its community. And with the tour, panel and the presentation I can see a great sense of community and team work on campus. It is not one of my major criteria for a university, but community is extremely helpful because it gives to a support base and friends to lean on.

I’d have to say my favorite university so far is the University of Chicago. I prefer it to Northwestern mainly because it has all the positives of Northwestern like the sense of community, study abroad opportunities, internships, research opportunities and variety of fields to study in, but it is more rigorous. UChicago has a very sober, formal and intense compared to Northwestern which felt laid back, fun and relaxing, I find UChicago’s more rigorous and sober feel more appealing because I want that kind of environment when I am studying in my classes and I want that kind of classwork (a lot of it and rigorous). I also like the housing system because it is based on personality instead of class, sports team or major; I find that to be better because it insures that you like the people you will live with for at least a year or two. These campus visits were beyond helpful as they helped me analyze what I want in a college and they also have greatly influenced what colleges I want to apply to. And now that I have had my Chicago experienced and loved every second of it nothing is standing in my way to Ithaca. Watch out Cornell!

No comments:

Post a Comment